A Little Background about our Project
Our Mission: to preserve the rural heritage of Madison County and surrounding areas through the documentation of the historical barn building traditions and the barns they represent.
Madison County, North Carolina, has a rich agricultural history. The county’s place in the production of burley tobacco is well known, but there are other ways to explore and record our agricultural history. One of the most interesting ways to do this is to tell the stories of the barns and outbuildings scattered throughout the county. Learn more about the beginning of our organization and the people who are working to save this history.
The ABA is registered to solicit donations in the state of NC. “Financial information about this organization and a copy of its license are available from the State Solicitation Licensing Branch at 888‐830‐4989. The license is not an endorsement by the State”. Contact us for information about other states.
Listen to an interview (from wART streaming radio) with Taylor Barnhill about Historic Barns
Listen to an interview (from wART streaming radio) with Taylor Barnhill about the Tobacco Barns
- March 2019 thru June 15 at 3pm:Quilt Raffle: Purchase tickets for the drawing at our booth at the Bluff Mountain Festival in June. For information on how to get tickets go to our Quilt Raffle page
- Friday, April 19 from 9am to Noon: The first of the monthly 3-hour guided Van Tours of Historic Barns. Reservations needed for the limited space. $40 per person. Other dates in the following months. More info, click here. Questions? Email email@example.com or call Sandy at 828 380-9146
- Saturday, May 18 from 1:30pm to 7pm: The 6th Annual Barn Tour Day & Party. A tour of barns followed by food, music and fun. Watch for details coming soon. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Sandy at 828 380-9146
- Friday, June 21 from 5pm to 8pm: The inaugural “A Pastoral Palette: The Barn Whispers its Memories” Gala Art Show Benefit with food & drink as you mingle with the artists. A partnership with The Saints of Paint artists. Details and reservations, click here. Questions? Email email@example.com or call Sandy at 828 380-9146. Art show continues on Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 5pm.
How You Can Help
- Join our efforts. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (828) 380-9146
- Become a member ($20 for Individual, $30 for Family, $50 for Friend, $100 for Patron (or Business Supporter), $200 for Benefactor, $500 for Super Supporter, and $1000 for President’s Circle) by mailing your check with your address and email information to ABA, PO Box 1441, Mars Hill, NC 28754
- Make a contribution to the Appalachian Barn Alliance (Mail to PO Box 1441, Mars Hill, NC 28754)
- Provide us with information about your historic barn in Madison County. Email email@example.com or call (828) 380-9146
Cutting Boards & Napkin Rings & Appalachian Butter Knives made from Tobacco Sticks FOR SALE