A Little Background about our Project
Our Mission: to preserve the rural heritage of Madison County and surrounding areas through the documentation of the historical barn building traditions and the barns they represent.
Madison County, North Carolina, has a rich agricultural history. The county’s place in the production of burley tobacco is well known, but there are other ways to explore and record our agricultural history. One of the most interesting ways to do this is to tell the stories of the barns and outbuildings scattered throughout the county. Learn more about the beginning of our organization and the people who are working to save this history.
The ABA is registered to solicit donations in the state of NC. “Financial information about this organization and a copy of its license are available from the State Solicitation Licensing Branch at 888‐830‐4989. The license is not an endorsement by the State”. Contact us for information about other states.
- Friday, July 26 from 9am to Noon: Van Tour of Historic Barns in Mars Hill area. Leisurely 3-hour tour providing an opportunity of a few properties where you can get out and walk up to and inside of the barns on the land. Drive by others while hearing background of the history of the county. Just $40 for a seat. For reservations, email email@example.com or call Sandy at 828 380-9146.
Listen to an interview (from wART streaming radio) with Taylor Barnhill about Historic Barns
Listen to an interview (from wART streaming radio) with Taylor Barnhill about the Tobacco Barns
How You Can Help
- Join our efforts. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (828) 380-9146
- Become a member ($20 for Individual, $30 for Family, $50 for Friend, $100 for Patron (or Business Supporter), $200 for Benefactor, $500 for Super Supporter, and $1000 for President’s Circle) by mailing your check with your address and email information to ABA, PO Box 1441, Mars Hill, NC 28754
- Make a contribution to the Appalachian Barn Alliance (Mail to PO Box 1441, Mars Hill, NC 28754)
- Provide us with information about your historic barn in Madison County. Email email@example.com or call (828) 380-9146
Cutting Boards & Napkin Rings & Appalachian Butter Knives made from Tobacco Sticks FOR SALE